Highlander Events+Champions Cube

Talk about all things Ascension here!

Highlander Events+Champions Cube

Postby Salad_Thunder » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:50 am

Updated post-Elements. Changes from the original card list indicated below in red and green. Has been play-tested with 2-4 players, including both experienced and new.

The general idea is:
(1) Primarily based off of CotG, RotF, SoS, IH, RU, DoC and avoiding overlap with my other sets. So most things in those six sets and most the promos are ok, along with scattered cards from Dreamscape and Gift of the Elements. Not the things Year 3 or my Dreamscape/Elements cube (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29788).
(2) Avoid cards that add a major new mechanic beyond Events and Champions (so no energy and no dream). Soul gems come along with the events. Rally and unite aren't major. Could add infest and empower, but am playing them in the Dream/Elements cube.
(3) 200 card main deck with the (Faction x Type x Cost) percentages in the deck roughly equal to those in the 6 sets combined (the spreadsheet of them is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing , where the first set of three tables is the total for the actual sets, and the second set of three tables is pro-rated for 191 non-event cards). Am only using nine New Event cards because I like starting with one in play.
(4) Aim for only one of each included card unless there aren't enough different choices to balance it - so I'm cheating on the Highlander because there aren't enough unique low cost monsters.
(5) Don't use the most powerful or so dozen cards to avoid things getting out of hand (especially on an early rally).
(6) Don't include both the card and the Soul Gem (a brief nod to story, and thins out some of the weaker Soul Gems) and only one of each Soul Gem.
(7) As tie-breakers to decide what to include: include mixed faction cards, encourage player interaction, avoid transformations, avoid too much searching of the void, avoid cards that need duplicates, avoid the too weak or too strong

*The Events, Fanatics, and Champions can be left out if teaching someone to play (skip the new event cards when they come up, and ignore the last sentence on Seer of Days Past).

*30 Mystics and Heavy Infantry seems close to the standard for all the sets. We've run out in a six player game using the Year One set, and adding 10 more each for players 5 and 6 seems reasonable at first blush (one of the knowledge bases actually recommends using 30 for two players, 40 for 3, and 50 for 4+).

Non-Main Deck (235 Cards)
--------------------------------------------
48 Apprentice, 12 Militia
50 Heavy Infantry, 50 Mystic, 6 Fanatic, 1 Cultist
4 Champions, 4 Champion Heroes
10 Events, 10 Giant Rat, 24 Soul Gems

Soul Gems (16): Arbiter of Fate, Arha Initiate, Arha Templar, Ascetic of the Lidless Eye, Avatar Golem, Demon Slayer, Druids of the Stone Circle, Great-Omen Raven, Land Talker, Lifebound Initiate, Master Dhartha, Mechana Initiate, Reactor Mnk, Runic Lycanthrope, Shade of the Black Watch, Void Initiate

Main Deck (200 Cards)
9x (0) New Event Cards

Enlightened (31 Cards)
(7) Vedah, Sage of Swords
(6) Elan, Soul Marshal
(6) Oziah the Peerless
(6) Serene Ascetic
(6C) The All Seeing Eye
(5) Daybreak Askara
(5C) Dreamer's Glass
(5) Miles, Golden Prodigy
(5C) Premonition Bell
(5) Tower Askara
(5c) Tower of Ascendancy
(5) Whirlwind Ascetic
(4) Askara of Fate
(4) Askara of Souls
(4) Austere Sage
(4C) Dhartha's Retreat
(4) Elemental Adept
(4) Journeyman Sage
(4) Neophyte Mentor
(4) Scryer of the Lidless Eye
(4) Seer of Days Past
(4) Twofold Askara
(3) Arha Sensei
(3) Askara of Fortune
(3) Elder Skeptic
(3) Journeyman Outrider
(2) Arha Medium
(2) Nook Hound
(2) Seer of the Forked Path
(2) Temple Librarian
(1) Arha Initiate
(1) Disciple of Oziah
(1) Ephemeral Monk
(1) Hectic Scribe
(1C) Mantra of Renewal
(1) Prodigal

Lifebound (31 Cards)
(7) Avatar of Aiyana
(7) Serpentcall
(6) Nairi, Henge Queen
(6) Pathwarden
(6) Sabre, the Moonlit
(6) Syril, Runic Alpha
(5) Cetra, Benefactor of All
(5) Flytrap Witch
(5) Kiri, Meadow Witch
(5) Lionheart
(5) Moonveil Clique
(5C) Snapdragon
(5) Snapdragon Witch
(5C) Stone Circle
(5) Stone Circle Elder
(4) Animus of the Wild
(4C) Beast Staff
(4) Dandelion Witch
(4) Honey Siren
(4C) Moon Staff
(4) Ogo Courier
(4) Starchild
(4C) Yggdrasil Staff
(3C) Everbloom
(3) Granger
(3) Lunar Stag
(3) Pack Leader
(3) Spider Witch
(3) Verdant Elemental
(3) Wolf Shaman
(2) Everbloom Clique
(2) Snake Shaman
(1) Aiyana's Messenger
[s](1) Disciple of Cetra
(1) Ephemeral Druidl
(1C) Flytrap Staff
(1) Lifebound Initiate
(1) Wolf Acolyte

Mechana (31 Cards)
(8C) Hedron Cannon
(7) Adam, Builder Adept
(7C) Conversion Port
(7C) Project Alpha
(6C) Air Support Squadron
(6C) Driller Mark IV
(6C) Socket Altar
(6C) The Grand Design
(5C) Combustion Idol
(5C) Control Room
(5) Hedron Watchtower
(4) Energy Monk
(4) Hedron Pyromaniac
(4C) Personal Wormhole
(4) Prospector Scout
(4C) Reclamax
(4C) Rocket Courier X-99
(4) Scrap Flinger
(4C) Spark Sprayer
(3C) Burrower Mark II
(3C) Defense Generator
(3) Dimensional Diver
(3) Kor, the Ferromancer
(3) Matron of Discovery
(3) Overhaul Cleric
(3C) Synchronizer
(2) Battery Monk
(2) Brazer Drone
(2) Scrap Weaver
(2C) Workshop Gargoyle
(1) Disciple of Euloth
(1) Ephemeral Inventor
(1) Grease Monk
(1) Mechana Initiate
(1C) Spark Bug

Void (31 Cards)
(7C) Muramasa
(7) Sadranis, Dark Emissary
(6C) Emri's Sting
(6C) Sadistic Laboratory
(6) Void Mesmer
(5C) Black Hole
(5) Black Watch Elite
(5) Black Watch Exemplar
(5) Ethereal Huntress
(5) Shadowcaster
(5) Void Avenger
(4) Arbiter of the Precipice
(4C) Canopic Jar
(4) Maniacal Crusher
(4C) Morbid Hammer
(4) Soul Assassin
(3) Deathdealer Noble
(3) Mistress of Blades
(3C) Nethersnare
(3C) Oblivion Blossoms
(3) Nihilmancer
(3) Shadow Stalker
(3) Trophy Hunter
(3) Undaunted Scout
(2) Abolisher
(2) Deathseeker
(2) Soul Shaper
(2) Spike Vixen
(1) Deathsworn Warrior
(1) Ephemeral Ritualist
(1) Disciple of Emri
(1) Guardian of Sadranis
(1C) Shade's Bargain
(1) Void Initiate
(1) Void Militia

Monster (41 Cards)
(8) Samael the Fallen
(7) Akam, the Genie
(7) Avatar of the Fallen
(7) Kythis, the Gatekeeper
(7) Samael Claus
(7T) Unchained Fates
(6) Bazu, Duke of Scorn
(6) Earth Tyrant
(6) Fire Tyrant
(6T) Hoarding Tyrant
(6) Rat King
(6) Rat Queen
(5) Noxious Soul
(5) Polaris Demon
(5) Sea Tyrant
(5) Vaultbreaker Wurm
(5) Wailing Spectre
(5) Wind Tyrant
(4) Bramble Elemental
(4) Corrosive Widow
(4) Doom Weeper
2x (4T) Minotaur
(4) Mistake of Creation
(4T) Nothing Man
(4) Sadistic Giant
(4) Terrorizing Fiend
(4) Vandal Soul
(3) Borderland Nihilist
(3T) Cackling Jackal
(3) Fettered Soul
5x (3) Growmites
2x (3T) Hoarding Whelp
(3) Mephit
(3) Ravenous Gorph
2x (3T) Samael's Trickster
2x (3) Sordid Asp
(3) Sower of Discontent
(3) Thieving Gryphon
(3) Tide Stalker
(3) Tormented Soul
(2) Foundation Burrower
(2) Rust Gremlin
5x (1) Samael's Little Helper

Mixed Faction (26 Cards)
(7) Canopy Sanctuary (EL)
(4) Timestream Seer (EL)
(2) Rootscryer (EL)
(6) Library Familiar (EM)
(5) Canon Templar (EM)
(5) Surge Protector (EM)
(6) Betrayed Templar (EX)
(3) Corrupted Sage (EX)
(6) Riftdrake Rider (EV)
(5) Voidforged Paladin (EV)
(3) Guide of Lost Souls (EV)
(5) Genesis Capsule (LM)
(4) Wildgear Sower (LM)
(3) Wildgear Druid (LM)
(6) Cult of the False Circle (LX)
(4) Thorned Charger (LX)
(4) Deathbound Druid (LV)
(4) Muse of Rebirth (LV)
(3) Shepherd of the Lost (LV)
(5) Exhaust Lurker (MX)
(4) Rejected Prototype (MX)
(4) Nightmare Delver (MV)
(4) Riftwatch Turret (MV)
(2) Clockwork Sentry (MV)
(5) Wild Riftdrake (VX)
(3) Deathfinder (VX)
Last edited by Salad_Thunder on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 am, edited 40 times in total.
Salad_Thunder

Playdek ID: Salad_Thunder

Re: Highlander Years 1, 2, & 4 Cube

Postby Salad_Thunder » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:43 am

Have had about a dozen games with the cube, ranging from a two player game against a new player to a four player game with a player with lots of all-sets experience and two with lots of year-one-collectors experience. The all-sets experience player appreciated the balance, and the year-one-collectors people liked the other mechanics. Taking out the events and champions makes it about as easy as the year-one-collectors to teach someone on.

Everything seems to run pretty well and the only change we've put in is to remove Serpent Call and replace it with Beast Staff. One of the experienced player in the shop got it early one game, expressed surprise I had kept it in the cube -- and proceeded to win in spite of the other three of us working against him when we had a chance. Beast Staff seems like too far of a step down, but I've already included all of the other green constructs in between the two in.

Most of the games haven't made it through much more than half the cards in the deck, if that. And I haven't tried spiking it with the 21 optional cards yet.
Salad_Thunder

Postby Salad_Thunder » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am

With the arrival of Dreamscape, and a bunch of on-line games with the year-three energy things, I think I'll be leaving this cube pretty much as is. The current cube has enough mechanics (Champions, Events, Unite/Multi-Unite) that adding in energy or dream isn't needed, and to have enough of the energy or dream to keep the flavor of those sets seems like it would require gutting what's here. And it doesn't seem worth the $$$ to get the year 3 sets just to add the few cards that might be improvements over what's currently (and Dreamscape doesn't have many non-dream related cards).

Instead, I'll probably take some cards from years 1, 2, and 4 that I haven't used yet and add them to my Dreamscape set (the Leprechauns have already been added). Not sure if I'll get the year 3 sets anytime soon.

Also, when I constructed the cube I originally pulled 21 more powerful cards aside to add if it needed a jump start or more excitement. We've never had the desire to put them in, so I removed them from the description above. For the record, they were:

Optional Power Boost (16 Cards + 5 Transformed Heroes)
Enlightened: (8) Vir, Ascetic Master + Vir, Emphemeral Guru (TH), (7) Dhartha, the Eternal, (6) The All-Seeing Eye
Lifebound: (8) Starlight Sanctum, (7) Cetra, Matron of the Stars, (6) Remus, Pack Guardian + Remus, Wild Emissary (TH)
Mechana: (8) Plasma Canon, (7) Upgrade Foundry, (6) Alset, Monk Prodigy + Alset, Reactor Savant (TH)
Void: (8) Orb of Nyx, (7) Emri, the Unmaker + Emri, Demonsbane (TH), (6) Belthar, Soul Collector
Monster: (9) Xeron, Lord of Deofol, (8) Kythis, Rebel Godling, (7) Adayu the Tormented + Adayu the Serene (TH), (6) Xeron, Duke of Lies
Salad_Thunder

Postby Salad_Thunder » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm

A few changes did come in with the Dreamscape adjustments.

Just having a few transform cards in here always seemed a bit added on here, and they fit nicely with Dreamscape, so all of them have moved over there. To replace them at the low end of the totem poll, I've put in all of the Initiates - except for Arha. That one was already here, so Seer of the Forked Path is in instead. For monsters it's the fifth Growmite.

Since I was adding cards to Dreamscape, Dreamer's Glass and seems like an obvious choice to go. It's being replaced by The All Seeing Eye.

Arha Sensei is in Dreamscape already, so I'll be replacing that with the promo Askara of Fortune. And finally, looking at the promos, Moon Staff seems better than Beast Staff, so I'll be adding that one too as soon as I order it.
Salad_Thunder

Re: Highlander Events+Champions Cube

Postby Salad_Thunder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 am

Was initially thinking "Gift of the Elements" would give some cards to add to this cube... but Gift is playing well enough on its own that I'm not sure I want to disassemble it.

So, made a few other adjustments I was considering.

* Looked at the spreadsheet a bit more, and moving it to 201 cards worked better (gave 31 of each faction and 49 monsters to match the spreadsheet). This added in Emri's Sting and Beast staff for the factions.

* Took out the Growmites (for Dreamscape) and Samael+Helper's (for Gift of the Elements). Relacements were Unchained Fates and doubling some of the other low cost monsters.

* Thinned out the Soul Gem's by removing the ones duplicating cards in the main deck. Previously I kept in the ones that had appeared in a later set. A lot of times the Soul Gem's were really uninspiring though - will see if this makes it worth keeping in as a mechanic.
Salad_Thunder

Postby wally2069 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

So from one highlander cube builder to another, I have a few questions.

The one I am most interested in is how did you come up with the cost distribution for each faction. I can tell that each faction has 31 cards but a few things stick out like, Enlightened having one 7 drop and four 6 drops, Lifebound having one 7 drop and three 6 drops, Mechana having one 8 drop and three 7 drops and four six drops, and Void having two 7 drops and two 6 drops.

The most obvious cost disparity exists between the Mechana faction and the Void faction. Was this an intentional choice or just a side effect of choosing the cards that you enjoy or have synergy together?
wally2069

Postby Salad_Thunder » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:18 pm

wally2069 wrote:The one I am most interested in is how did you come up with the cost distribution for each faction.

The most obvious cost disparity exists between the Mechana faction and the Void faction. Was this an intentional choice or just a side effect of choosing the cards that you enjoy or have synergy together?

When I first set it up, I apparently had way too much time on my hand and went through the year 1, 2, and 4 sets and worked out the distribution of cards by cost, and then scaled it to roughly 190 cards. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1160567893 That's where the disparity came from. It flummoxed me for a while that there were more total hero+construct cards for the different factions - turns out it's because the cross-faction card numbers aren't even. Since I'm making the number of cross-faction cards even, it worked out to have the number of hero+construct cards equal. I haven't spent the time to figure out if the original set percentages were a good thing to go off of or not.

I took out the cards that seemed really abusive (mostly the really high cost ones) and then tried to pick my favorites that matched the distribution as close as possible. If I had kept it at around a normal set size (100 cards), I would have put some of the cards that play off of each other (like Umbral and Penumbral Edge), but because its bigger they didn't really work well.

My debate now is if I want to use some of the cards that I really like from Dreamscape and Elements in here (in exchange for some of the Y1,2,4, cards that were in duplicate), or avoid the duplication.
Salad_Thunder

Postby wally2069 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Nice, I do appreciate the spreadsheet as I have thought about making such a thing myself once upon a time. I had not considered how the dual-faction cards influenced cost distribution across factions and just lumped them into their own categories when building my cube. I definitely agree with taking the high swing potential cards from the cube as well as the codependent cards.

I personally only have one cube and plan to add much of Gift of the Elements to my main cube. I do prefer a true highlander style with one copy of each card (no duplicates). It was difficult to do so with the self imposed restrictions of only using cards with the new artwork. I have an old artwork copy of Chronicles of the Godslayer, Return of the Fallen, and Storm of Souls. I bought the updated version of the base set and SoS just for the new artwork cards. It has been a challenge.

If you end up shifting things around, the Ephemeral 1 drop cards work really well in a highlander cube.
wally2069

Postby Salad_Thunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am

Finally happy with my Dream/Elements cube (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29788) and picked up some more promos.

Removed: Dhartha's Reteat, Journeyman Sage, Arha Initiate, Syril Runic Alpha, Flytrap Witch, Stone Circle Elder, Yggdrasil Staff, Lifebound Initiate, Battery Monk, Brazer Drone, Mechana Initiate, Emri's Sting, Morbid Hammer, Void Militia, Kythis the Gatekeeper, Unchained Fates, Foundation Burrower, and some duplicate 2, 3, and 4 cost monsters.

Added: Whirlwind Ascetic, Arha Sensei, Ephemeral Monk, Nairi Henge Queen, Cetra Benefactor of All, Kiri Meadowitch, Verdant Elemental Ephemeral Druid, Dimension Diver, Scrap Weaver, Emphemeral Inventor, Sadistic Laboratory, Oblivion Blossoms, Ephemeral Ritualist, Samael the Fallen, Avatar of the Fallen, Bramble Elemental, Thieving Gryphon, Tide Stalker, Rust Gremlin

Also edited the Soul Gems to remove those duplicating heroes in the cube (and put back those no longer duplicating), and went to only including one of each.

Hope to get some games in with it this Tuesday.
Salad_Thunder

Return to General Discussion