Daybreak Askara and Borderland Mercenary

Have a rules question? Search past discussions or post yours here!

Daybreak Askara and Borderland Mercenary

Postby IronLight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello all,

I was playing the Ascension app on Android, and I played Daybreak Askara on a Borderland Mercenary that had been assigned the Enlightened faction. The effect copied twice, as expected, but for the first copy, I couldn't select the Enlightened faction (I chose Void instead), and for the second copy, I couldn't choose Enlightened or Void as the faction.

Anyone know the reason for this?

Cards:
Borderland Mercenary: Draw a card. Name a faction. This Hero counts as that faction this turn.
Daybreak Askara: Copy the effect of a Hero played this turn. If the Hero was Enlightened, copy that Hero's effect an additional time. This effect cannot be copied.

Thanks!
IronLight

Re: Daybreak Askara and Borderland Mercenary

Postby IronLight » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:23 pm

I think I may have my answer on this one based on some of the other threads regarding card effect duplication: the "choose a faction" comes from the Mercenary card, but applies to the Askara card. Because Askara is already an Enlightened card, it can't be associated with the Enlightened faction again. Likewise with subsequent faction alignments: can't associate a card with a faction that it's already associated with.

It makes sense I think... for purposes of evaluating card requirements, associating a single card/hero with a faction multiple times could certainly break a number of mechanics. At the same time, though, I really wanted to abuse those mechanics.. ^^
IronLight

Return to Rules