Stalk the Shadows and Trophy Monsters

Have a rules question? Search past discussions or post yours here!

Stalk the Shadows and Trophy Monsters

Postby deepcerulean » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

I play almost exclusively on Android. I've noticed that using "Stalk the Shadows" (Void Dream Vision, card text - "This turn you may defeat Monsters in the void as though they were in the center row.") to defeat a trophy monster does not grant the player the trophy.

I know this has been discussed with other cards that allow you to defeat monsters in the void, but the text on *all* other cards like that explicitly states that the monster gets placed on the bottom of the portal deck (and there's that one card in WoS that says you can defeat a monster in the void *except* a trophy monster). It seems to me like the lack of that text on Stalk the Shadows is significant and the player should be granted the trophy.

I sent this into Playdek as a bug report and they came back stating that the intent of "Stalk the Shadows" is the same as other cards that let you defeat monsters in the void (the card should go on the bottom of the portal deck).

Either way, I think this is a problem. Either the card text is incorrect (incomplete) and needs to be changed, or the app's behavior is incorrect and the player should get the trophy.

Thoughts? Any kind of official ruling on this?
deepcerulean

Re: Stalk the Shadows and Trophy Monsters

Postby Huuuze » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am

deepcerulean wrote:Any kind of official ruling on this?

If you defeat a Trophy Monster in the Void, it goes to the bottom of the Portal Deck. While not stated, Trophy Monsters are implicitly treated in this manner.
Visit Ascension Fans on Facebook for all of the latest Ascension information!
Huuuze

Playdek ID: Huuuze

Postby deepcerulean » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 am

OK... I don't have a problem if that's the way it's supposed to work... But it certainly seems like the card text should state that no? Even if this was an actual "rule", the card text overrides any rule and trophy monsters definitely aren't being treated as though they were "in the center row"...
deepcerulean

Postby Huuuze » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 am

deepcerulean wrote:OK... I don't have a problem if that's the way it's supposed to work... But it certainly seems like the card text should state that no? Even if this was an actual "rule", the card text overrides any rule and trophy monsters definitely aren't being treated as though they were "in the center row"...

Yes, that is true. However, we'll look to update that card in a future release.
Visit Ascension Fans on Facebook for all of the latest Ascension information!
Huuuze

Playdek ID: Huuuze

Return to Rules