Some questions about some old cards

Have a rules question? Search past discussions or post yours here!

Re: Some questions about some old cards

Postby Huuuze » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:19 pm

JasonTime wrote:1.If [Cetra's Trial] is in the Event Zone(or [Stone Henge] location has come into effect), may I acquire a 4-cost Hero by effect "Acquire a Hero with 3 Runes or less without paying its cost"?

No. The effect always applies to the printed cost.

JasonTime wrote:2.How about Rally vs "The next time you acquire a X, pay XXX less"?

Nope. See above.
Visit Ascension Fans on Facebook for all of the latest Ascension information!
Huuuze

Playdek ID: Huuuze

Postby Huuuze » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:20 pm

JasonTime wrote:And [Guide of Lost Souls]'s "Replace it with a Mystic or Heavy Infantry" vs "The next time you acquire a Hero, do XXX..."/"When you acquire a Hero, do XXX..."

No. Replacing is not acquiring.
Huuuze

Postby JasonTime » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:10 am

Huuuze wrote:
JasonTime wrote:1.If [Cetra's Trial] is in the Event Zone(or [Stone Henge] location has come into effect), may I acquire a 4-cost Hero by effect "Acquire a Hero with 3 Runes or less without paying its cost"?

No. The effect always applies to the printed cost.

JasonTime wrote:2.How about Rally vs "The next time you acquire a X, pay XXX less"?

Nope. See above.

Thanks for reply!
The conclusion is that acquiring cards without the verb "Acquire" on text does not count as acquiring and does not waste effects such as "The next time you acquire a XXX, pay X less", right?
Yet according to the case that Rally may trigger Champion's "Whenever you acquire or defeat a ...", I think Rally should count as acquiring and should have wasted those effects...
JasonTime

Postby Huuuze » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 am

JasonTime wrote:I think Rally should count as acquiring and should have wasted those effects...

Rally is an "acquire" effect. I guess I'm not understanding your question.
Huuuze

Postby JasonTime » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 am

Huuuze wrote:
JasonTime wrote:I think Rally should count as acquiring and should have wasted those effects...

For example:
I played an [Aiyana's Messenger] (The next time I acquire a Hero this turn, pay 1 Rune less), and then I acquired a Construct. At that moment, it triggered my Champion's Rally effect, and a Hero entered the center row. If I acquired the Hero with Rally, the effect of [Aiyana's Messenger] would be wasted, right?
JasonTime

Postby Perrsun » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 pm

JasonTime wrote:
Huuuze wrote:

For example:
I played an [Aiyana's Messenger] (The next time I acquire a Hero this turn, pay 1 Rune less), and then I acquired a Construct. At that moment, it triggered my Champion's Rally effect, and a Hero entered the center row. If I acquired the Hero with Rally, the effect of [Aiyana's Messenger] would be wasted, right?

I'm pretty sure I've had this exact thing happen to me in the iOS app, and it has wasted the Messenger's effect.
Perrsun

Playdek ID: Perrsun

Postby JasonTime » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Perrsun wrote:
JasonTime wrote:
For example:

I'm pretty sure I've had this exact thing happen to me in the iOS app, and it has wasted the Messenger's effect.

Understand. Thanks!
JasonTime

Postby Huuuze » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

JasonTime wrote:For example:

Now I understand. Yes, it would be wasted.
Huuuze

Postby JasonTime » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Huuuze wrote:
JasonTime wrote:For example:

Now I understand. Yes, it would be wasted.

OK~ Thanks!
JasonTime

Postby Perrsun » Fri May 12, 2017 7:22 pm

In the same vein as one of the prior questions, I was wondering about the Portals in the digital version of the game.

The portals themselves just say "This is any Hero or Construct that could be found in the center deck of any Ascension set." When you acquire a portal, and it turns into a Hero or Construct that you had a discount for, it wastes that "the next ___ you acquire" discount.

For example:
A Rejected Prototype is in the center row. (Reward: 3 Honor. You pay 3 Rune less the next time you acquire a construct this turn)
I use an AEther Ritualist (Gain 2 Power. The next time you defeat a Monster in the center row this turn, you may acquire a Portal without paying its cost.) and a Heavy Infantry to defeat the Rejected Prototype.
There is a portal in the center row, and I use AEther Ritualist's bonus to acquire the portal.
The portal transforms into a construct, and is placed into my discard pile.
When I am able to take further action on my turn, all other constructs in the center row are their normal price.

What I wanted to know was: Is the act of a portal turning into a construct supposed to act as an "Acquire"? If so, why was the Acquire action chosen instead of "replace" or "transform" (which, theoretically, wouldn't have wasted the discount from Rejected Prototype before I even had a chance to use it)?
Perrsun

Playdek ID: Perrsun

PreviousNext

Return to Rules