"If you have" construct powers in GoE

Have a rules question? Search past discussions or post yours here!

"If you have" construct powers in GoE

Postby Hemka » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 pm

In Gift of the Elements a bunch of new constructs have the wording "if you have". Does this only apply when the construct is in play? Or does it look at the entire turn history?

For example. I defeat a monster in the center row that allows me to draw 3 cards. I draw the Wildbark Mail construct "once per turn, if you have defeated a monster in the center row, gain 2 honor". Do I get 2 honor?

The wording reminds me of Unite cards which say if you play or have played a card of X faction do Y. But those are heroes not constructs. I don't remember wording like this on previous constructs.

I have ruled it that the construct has to be in play to see the trigger action. But I don't know if that is correct.

Similarly the event Dhartha's Trial "Once per turn, if you have played a Mystic or Heavy Infantry, draw a card". If that comes out mid turn and I have played one of those do I get to draw a card?
Hemka

Playdek ID: Hemka

Re: "If you have" construct powers in GoE

Postby Hemka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:16 am

So I went home and found the rulebook (I didn't have it with me) and there is a FAQ on this.

Q: If I play a Construct like Piercing Eye, Wildbark mail or Madness'Embrace after I have defeated a Monster that turn, can I still gain the effect of the Construct?
A: Yes. As long as you have met the conditions of the Construct that turn, you can use the Construct even if you put it into play after the condition was met.

So I guess you do gain them. I would assume that since other constructs have the same wording (Oblivion Blossoms, once per turn if you have banished a card gain 1 honor) they would also look through the entire turn to see if the conditions were met. And similarly Dhartha's Trial will look at all cards played this turn and look for a Mystic or Heavy.
Hemka

Playdek ID: Hemka

Return to Rules