[Alternate Game Rules] ROV Energy Spending

Want to talk about specific card combos? Deck ideas you try to carry out each game? Talk about them with the rest of the community here!

[Alternate Game Rules] ROV Energy Spending

Postby Rayzer730 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm

In my local group it has come to our attention that the whole energy theme was an awesome concept but the execution was kinda poor since after some 40+ games the strategy was always get the most energy and you win. This was the same for 2 player, 3 player, and most 4 player games. We kept noticing that once a single player got at least 6 or so energy their deck suddenly jumped to a whole other level that all other players had a hard time catching up with. Since energy isn't something you can just buy when short, the player with the most energy tended to stay in the lead by activating every single energy ability every other turn. We were discussing the reasons why and figured it could be 1 of 2 things: Almost every single card in ROV is based on energy. The variety is kinda weak since all Fate abilities, mechana abilities, most monster abilities, and most other cards trigger off of energy and kinda don't do much else. Now, the second reason we figured was that once you had say 3-4 energy, you could activate twice as many abilities that you could normally. Since we can't change the design of the game itself, we decided to try out something else that COULD easily be tweaked a bit. We agreed that any card with an "Energize __" ability, where you had a threshold to reach, would now require you SPEND the energy much like runes or power. We left a few energize abilities that worked differently alone, and the game suddenly because a LOT more balanced for us. We still have the goal of grabbing the most energy, but the games didn't quickly turn so one sided that we FELT we were just losing to the energy cards. By having to spend energy, the game because a little more strategic as players had to decide WHICH mechana or heroes to activate and what their timing would be on spending energy. Playing every energize ability in hand wasn't the auto-first choice since we might find that a hero could potentially work better AFTER killing a monster and paying its energize cost. Energy as a third cost structure seems to slow down the mid-game just enough that other players can potentially catch up to the one with the most treasure.

I just wanna see what others' thoughts are on this since the set is somewhat new and I don't know if anyone else has found energy to cause the same issues, or if we just have such a specific mind-set that it became important. lol
Rayzer730

Playdek ID: Rayzer730

Re: [Alternate Game Rules] ROV Energy Spending

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 pm

What if treasure was also available to buy next to the mystics and heavy infantry? Price it at two or three runes. That might solve your problem without having to change how it is supposed to work since it wouldn't be pure luck who gets energy, but getting energy from the center row would still be a better deal if you want the card atop.
Adam

Playdek ID: Adam Palma

Postby Rayzer730 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 am

Well that practicular change would kind of alter the entire spirit of the treasure which is something that you find under other cards. While it MIGHT work a little better, the idea is to keep to the original idea as close as possible while still slowing down a pile of energize cards.
Rayzer730

Playdek ID: Rayzer730

Postby nightwalker450 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm

My group created our own alternate that goes a different route, you can find it posted here. Basically our alternate removes the "grab the most energy" effect from the game.
nightwalker450

Postby Orgavin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 pm

How does this house rule not ccompletely ruin a mechana construct playstyle?
Orgavin

Postby hanifkhan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:04 am

Price it at two or three runes. That might solve your problem without having to change how it is supposed to work since it wouldn't be pure luck who gets energy,
hanifkhan

Postby Radicalman33 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I can't believe it's been over 2 years since RoV was released. It was my favorite set for a while. Anyway, what we did for our house rules was to just give everyone more energy. The game was a big energy grab for a long time. Whomever got the most energy typically won, and it was pretty much all based on luck. So what we did was every other turn we each gained a free energy card until we each had five. We also reduced the amount in the draw deck by I think 10 (its been a while). This really helped the problem and evened out the game.
Radicalman33

Return to Strategy