Turn 1 All-Day List

Want to talk about specific card combos? Deck ideas you try to carry out each game? Talk about them with the rest of the community here!

Re: Turn 1 All-Day List

Postby MysticNutGo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Trillkin:
I was going to disagree with you on Scribe because he is card disadvantage, but he plays well with the kind of cheap banish effects you can pick up as well on T1 (not to mention blue multi-unite for later on). Something like Scribe + Void Initiate + any 3 cost would be just fine.

Aasac:
Thank you for the detailed response. I'll reply to the second post first, and the first post second. Sure I'll buy Raven as a cheap cycle card, but despite always naming the most populous card in my deck (apprentice, then energy usually), I miss a lot of activations. Many of the other cards you listed I will buy T3-5 but not T1-2.
"Lunar Stag (Its a mystic, so just buy a mystic so you won't open up a game winner for your opponent)"
I hate this logic. Any hero with CMC 3 that provides 2 Runes is always better than a Mystic. My Stags are usually generating 2 Honor anyways.

Spirit Merchant is 1-cost banish.
Death Druid is repeating 3-Honor on one card, with banish. I like any Lifebound that gives Honor in large doses.
Eternal Tormentor is super beast for the reason you mention. You banish the 8+ cost monster then get the 100% chance of defeating him if it's early enough. I have never regretting drafting him.
Most of the other arguments seem to boil down to your dislike of fast honor-ramp and aversion to letting your opponents get first crack at board cards.

I never aspired to create a definitive strategy guide, I just wanted to list some of the cards I have found success with, to maybe help others see a card and go "You know, I never considered Treasures of the Study could be so devastatingly broken as a game opening pick. I'll have to try that angle out sometime."

I like fast honor-ramp with cheap Lifebound heroes, cheap banish, cards that draw, and cards with a 1:1 cost/honor value ratio or near 1:1. When the board looks like it will allow it, I will buy any random 5-cost Mechana Construct just to set the pace for a heavy Mystic/Construct angle. No strategy is 100% foolproof, except maybe an opener of Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Everbloom Clique.

Many of the unorthodox cards I listed are integral to a strategy I employ I call "brute force winning", where you buy the most powerful cards available, banish your militia/apprentices ASAP, strict emphasis on tempo and grinding out hero and monster chains, fast honor-ramp, and trying to end the game before your opponent can set up any sort of coherent plan of his own. You make your deck high in honor value while also draining honor from the pool. I employ this strategy often, but sometimes dabble in the other three strategies I'm aware of: "Strict Infantry deck", "tribal/theme deck", and "Mystic Ramp into Enlightened everything".
MysticNutGo

Playdek ID: MysticNutGo

Postby IAmTrilkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:21 am

MysticNutGo wrote:...I like fast honor-ramp with cheap Lifebound heroes, cheap banish, cards that draw, and cards with a 1:1 cost/honor value ratio or near 1:1. When the board looks like it will allow it, I will buy any random 5-cost Mechana Construct just to set the pace for a heavy Mystic/Construct angle. No strategy is 100% foolproof, except maybe an opener of Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Everbloom Clique...

Brr...

Seeing an opponent set that up is frightening.
IAmTrilkin

Playdek ID: IAmTrilkin

Postby MysticNutGo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 pm

IAmTrilkin wrote:
MysticNutGo wrote:...I like fast honor-ramp with cheap Lifebound heroes, cheap banish, cards that draw, and cards with a 1:1 cost/honor value ratio or near 1:1. When the board looks like it will allow it, I will buy any random 5-cost Mechana Construct just to set the pace for a heavy Mystic/Construct angle. No strategy is 100% foolproof, except maybe an opener of Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Disciple of Cetra, Everbloom Clique...

Brr...

Seeing an opponent set that up is frightening.

I try man, lol.
I sent you a 24-hour game invite if you want to experience it.
Aasac, your name was not in the database, but invite me if you want to bounce our opposing strategies off of each other.
MysticNutGo

Postby MysticNutGo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Trilkin, thanks for the game. That's one of those situations where the brute force method just works out. The God of Variance is a cruel mistress.
MysticNutGo

Postby Aasac » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Your list is more like turn 1 all-day (to play green) list. Basically your list is biased toward a raw honor gaining deck, which are *not* always possible.
Aasac

Postby IAmTrilkin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 pm

MysticNutGo wrote:Trilkin, thanks for the game. That's one of those situations where the brute force method just works out. The God of Variance is a cruel mistress.

Yeah, I tried getting an early lead with some early power to ride through the rest of the game, but you caught up in DV with those mechana and some favorable center deck draws and a few questionable choices on my part in retrospect. I never said I was good at this game =) Good game, though. We'll definitely play more.
IAmTrilkin

Playdek ID: IAmTrilkin

Postby MysticNutGo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Aasac wrote:Your list is more like turn 1 all-day (to play green) list. Basically your list is biased toward a raw honor gaining deck, which are *not* always possible.

Lifebound honor generators can fit into almost any style deck, I find. The goal of the game is to gather the most honor, after all.
I respect your opinion, and I appreciate your response. You could have interacted with any of the billions of web pages on the internet, but you chose mine. :)
MysticNutGo

Postby Aasac » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 am

Its cool, topic like these are generally good anyways. You are entitle to your opinion after all MysticNut, but do consider improving the idea of whats actually important early game.
Aasac

Previous

Return to Strategy