Underrated cards

Talk about all things Ascension here!

Underrated cards

Postby LoveAlways » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm

I was just playing with the Dreamscape expansion and got Imaginative Matron (draw a card and discard one; unite with another enlightened hero and return a card from your discard pile to your hand). When I first started playing with this deck, I didn’t realize that if united, you get to take ANY card from your discard pile, not just the one discarded on the current turn.

Anyone want to chime in with cards they find underrated (apart from, obviously, low-rune cards with banishing ability)?
LoveAlways

Playdek ID: LoveAlways

Re: Underrated cards

Postby JamieLannister » Thu May 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Underrated: Darkness Unleashed, Raven Siren. Her additional ability to pay one less per energy shard gained late game is incredible. Maybe not so underrated: Also from Darkness Unleased any of the Cost 2 heroes that then transform if 2 energy have been played, wow super overpowered. Even worse version the 1 cost heroes in Realms Unraveled, but require a hero of the same affinity to be played to transform.
JamieLannister

Playdek ID: JamieLannister

Postby ackmondual » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:20 am

Unbound Emissary (15/7, e/h, DoC)
I originally thought this was just another Adayu The Choosen (8/6, e/h, RotF IIRC?) where you get to defeat any Monster or Acquire any card, but with a higher cost in Runes, and higher Honor value to make up for that higher cost. It's not proportional, but she can be acquired by paying Insight as well! I never noticed that she also lets you acquire any one card from your dreamscape!

That card... Snake Shaman? 2/1, l/h
+1 Rune, +1 additional if Event is lifebound
Pay up to 4 Runes to get 1 honor apiece.
This is pretty flexible in where leftover Runes just convert directly to honor
ackmondual

Postby LoveAlways » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 am

Sorry I’m only just now replying. I didn’t see the responses or receive a notification for them. Oh, well, I’m here now :)

Those are great thoughts! I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m definitely going to play some of those cards differently from now on! :) Thank you both for sharing your insights.

Thought I’d tack on some random thoughts here; rather than starting a new thread. I am signaling a change in topic here, away from underrated cards and more toward cards that I might not play, actually.

Acidic crawler against an opponent with Mechana constructs that grant honor points/soul gems/other effects triggered when put into play: does it make sense to defeat acidic crawler under these circumstances, if only for the honor points? Not taking new constructs into account, maybe sometimes it’s better to defeat something other than acidic crawler when it means destroying constructs that will give effects when put back into play. Am I overthinking this?

Nom/Yum tribe gremlin or whatever it is (the one that gets traded back and forth): why defeat this? Why put it into play? It’s interesting to me from a game theory perspective. I think the cost and reward is about the same as killing a cultist, so why opt to put a card into play that’s just going to come back to you? Just for the sake of hurting the opponent equally as much, temporarily? It doesn’t make much sense to me, tbh. Am I missing something?
Last edited by LoveAlways on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveAlways

Postby ackmondual » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 pm

LoveAlways wrote:Sorry I’m only just now replying. I didn’t see the responses or receive a notification for them. Oh, well, I’m here now :)

Since you brought it up... was there a way to get notifications on this message board? I'm used to others having a feature where you can go to a page and it displays all the new replies and threads you've subscribed to on a single webpage. Does this site not have such a thing?

LoveAlways wrote:Acidic crawler against an opponent with Mechana constructs that grant honor points/soul gems/other effects triggered when put into play: does it make sense to defeat acidic crawler under these circumstances, if only for the honor points? Not taking new constructs into account, maybe sometimes it’s better to defeat something other than acidic crawler when it means destroying constructs that will give effects when put back into play. Am I overthinking this?
Yeah, I agree with this. However, some reasons to kill Acidic Crawler anyways I've noticed include:
--If you're tied with # of constructs with that player, it's a "you or your opponent" situation, so if you really like your constructs, but he's kind of "meh", then you should defeat it if you can since you stand to lose more if he defeats it
--Of course, some m/c have greater effects by the # of m/c you have. More is better, like Hedron Cannon, or x #, like 3 and 4 m/c to trigger Combustion Idol and Plasma Cannon respectively
--Even if they do have m/c that trigger when put into play, if then have a whole lot of them, then their effects can compound. So instead of getting +1 card, +2 Runes, and +3 Power per m/c that they play, buy killing Acidic Crawler, you're forcing them to put them back into play (which clogs the hand), and only getting fewer of those effects per m/c put into play.
--he's got effects that trigger off # of constructs

LoveAlways wrote:Nom/Yum tribe gremlin or whatever it is (the one that gets traded back and forth): why defeat this? Why put it into play? It’s interesting to me from a game theory perspective. I think the cost and reward is about the same as killing a cultist, so why opt to put a card into play that’s just going to come back to you? Just for the sake of hurting the opponent equally as much, temporarily? It doesn’t make much sense to me, tbh. Am I missing something?

Was this Gift Of The Elements? If so, I recall playing with this once in a IRL game (the update now has this implemented in the digital version, but it's crashing on my Ipod Touch 5, and I don't want to risk this on my Ipad Air until I know it's stable). IIRC, it still clogs their deck, even if it comes back to you. By you killing it first, at least you get to "strike first".

If I ever get to play this digitally, I'll come back with more details.
ackmondual

Postby LoveAlways » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Excellent points! Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.
LoveAlways

Postby LoveAlways » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 am

I have to make one more major addition to the list of underrated cards: Yuk Tribe Outcast! :) I’ve yet to play GotE with anyone who seems to realize its capabilities. People leave this humble 3-rune card untouched in the center row, and promptly give me Yuk Tribe Gremlin after I’ve acquired the card. When paired with another Yuk Tribe Outcast, or a Yuk Tribe Gremlin, Yuk Tribe Outcast allows you to acquire or defeat any card in the center row without paying its cost! You might say that perhaps opponents think one won’t make the pairing, but I usually do, and it’s fairly easy with the empower feature in GotE, so that doesn’t make sense. The only explanation I can think of is simply that people haven’t read it very carefully, so here I am, giving all you lovely Ascension board visitors the scoop. :)
LoveAlways

Postby ackmondual » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 am

LoveAlways wrote:Excellent points! Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply.

And to you too!

Ditto here of not replying sooner. I'm trying to figure out if this message board has a feature that produces a list of all of the replies/notifications I've gotten. Currently, I'm manually scanning all the threads I know I've participated in :(
ackmondual

Return to General Discussion